Need to ask a question?
Our story is one of ground-breaking innovation. Bringing together our core capabilities; information, expertise and partnership, we have come a long way since 1980.
Click below on the years listed to read more about what has happened throughout our history up to the present day.
- Experian trace its origins to CCN, an information services business established by our former parent company, GUS
- CCN is the first to develop market and credit scoring in the UK.
- Launched CAIS, a system allowing consumer lending organisations to share credit account information on individuals and became the UK’s leading credit bureau.
- Produced the first automated application processing system, Autoscore, now known as CEMS.
- Launched Mosaic, a leading consumer segmentation system and Scope a customer reporting and monitoring solution, (now known as Portfolio Reporting Studio).
- Delphi, a bureau based scorecard is launched in the UK. In the same year, Car Data Check, our vehicle provenance database, and Detect our fraud detection product came to the market place.
- CCN changed its name globally to Experian and became a leading global provider of information and decision analytics.
- Acquired Vehicle Mileage Check to enhance our offering to UK automotive clients.
- Experian Truvue, a customer data integration solution, was launched globally.
- Entered the B2B list market with the launch of the National Business Database.
- Established a new consumer credit reference bureau in Ireland
- CreditExpert, the first online credit reporting service, is launched to consumers in the UK.
- GUS acquired the outstanding stake in Scorex, a global decision analytics company.
- Acquired CheetahMail, an e-mail marketing and customer intelligence solution and QAS, a leading supplier of address management software in the UK.
- Acquired Footfall, a leading provider of information and services related to numbers of people visiting retailers, shopping centres and transport locations.
- Experian is the only UK Company to win the Business of the Year award twice – in 2003 and 2005.
- Acquired ClarityBlue to complement the database management skills in our Marketing Solutions business.
- Acquired Experian BackgroundChecking.com, specialists in conducting identity checks on job applicants and Experian Payments, a market-leading provider of bank account validation and payment processing software.
- Experian received four Business in the Community Big Ticks, in recognition of our long-term commitment to improving educational opportunities for people in Nottingham.
- Our fraud business was presented with the Queens Award for Enterprise, the most prestigious accolade for business performance in the UK.
- On the 11 October 2006, Experian became an independent company, listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Acquired Hitwise, an Internet market intelligence company and pH Group, a leading business to business analytics company and Tallyman, the market-leading solution for revenue management and collection.
- Introduced Risk Triggers, a daily alert service which flags at-risk customers to lenders so that they can act quickly to prevent loss before they are exposed to it.
- Developed TrendView, a new segmentation tool that helps businesses to identify new value opportunities with existing customers by monitoring and evaluating their behaviour.
- Launched Lowermybills.co.uk to help UK consumers reduce their monthly recurring expenses online.
- Acquired Experian Payments (originally Eiger), to provide strategic payment software services.
- Introduced Ledger 360, an innovative new software system designed to help businesses to improve cash flow and profitability.
- Entered into partnership with the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) to bring car status checks to the market for the time, with SIMI History Check.
- Uploaded 2008 Electoral Register in record time and ahead of the competition.
- Launched Strategy Tree Optimisation, to help business make smarter and more informed decisions.
- Announced enhanced data sharing initiatives, to enable lenders to closely monitor consumers' use of credit and store cards for signs of over-indebtedness, by teaming up with APACS and credit card providers.
- Launched a comprehensive suite of collections and recoveries capabilities, to drive organisations' financial performance.
- Became the first Credit Reference Agency to achieve the CIFAS (the UK's Fraud Prevention Service) 'superior' rating for the fifth year in a row.
- Introduced Universal ID Check, a multi-national identity authentication system to boost the fight against fraud.
- Launched Autocheck Timeline, a unique new feature as part of our vehicle provenance service to help dealers meet the increasing information demands of their customers.
- On an average day, we process two million credit reference enquiries and we help our clients to make more than 20 billion decisions every year.
- Experian scooped a raft of awards and won the top accolade at the industry leading 2009 Data Strategy Awards, for the best use of data in all categories.
- Introduced enhanced collections and recoveries management software with the latest version of Tallyman, the collections process management software which forms a core part of Experian’s strategic Debt Collection and Recovery Suite.
- Launched Automated Vehicle Mileage Check the first compliance service of its kind for the UK’s automotive market.
- Experian’s market leading consumer classification - Mosaic UK - was comprehensively rebuilt and updated to reflect important demographic and social changes in British society since 2003.
- Introduced B2B Prospector a new online tool that allows businesses to quickly and simply find targeted new business leads for direct marketing campaigns.
- Won two highly coveted Business in the Community Big Tick' awards for its flagship community partnerships in Nottinghamshire.
- Launched Risk Audit Plus, the new web-based risk management service, to arm businesses with even more powerful credit risk insight.
- Experian UK was officially awarded The Carbon Trust Standard for taking real action on climate change by reducing our absolute carbon emissions by nearly 3% between 2008 and 2010.
- Introduced Identity IQ, an identity verification tool aimed at businesses looking to drive higher authentication rates, whilst reducing the risk of identity fraud and account takeover.
- Announced the launch of a new Mover Alerts service which will inform banks, lenders, insurers and home services companies when an existing customer puts their property up for sale or rent.
- Launched Equity Check, a new service that will help lenders make even more informed lending decisions by providing them with insight into customers’ equity positions.
- Established a new service in the UK specifically aimed at protecting consumers against the growing threat of ID fraud. ProtectMyID offers a comprehensive online service to allow consumers to keep track of where their personal information is being used to secure credit.
- Announced the launch of a range of services designed to enable banks, building societies and credit unions to build the Single Customer View (SCV) required by the Financial Services Authority.
- Introduced three unique new Perils Models, providing insurance companies with greater insight into a household’s level of exposure to escape of water, malicious damage and accidental damage.
- Announced our Indian Joint Venture, the first company to be awarded a full license by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to operate a credit bureau in India under new regulations.
- Experian and I-SEC Technologies, a global leader in identity document authentication and management, announced a partnership to provide document checking technology, commonly used in airports, to private and public sector organisations in the UK, known as Identity Document Check.
- Launched a set of new services designed to help financial services organisations manage PPI claims efficiently and to identify likely claimants. The new claimant registration service gives companies the ability to reduce costs, ensure genuine claims are processed more quickly as well as identify potentially fraudulent claims.
- Acquired LM Group Ltd, a leading provider of credit information to small to medium enterprises (SME) in the UK. Founded in 1994, LM Group, which trades as Riskdisk Ltd, provides commercial credit reports and commercial risk information to approximately 18,000 SME businesses in the UK.
- Received prestigious ‘Big Tick’ education award from Business in the Community. An innovative Nottingham based education partnership between independent charity Teach First and Experian, the global information services company, has been recognised with a ‘Big Tick’ – a national award that celebrates inspirational business programmes that are having a positive impact on the community, the environment and wider society.
- Launched first fully sponsored degree programme with Nottingham Business School, which offers students the chance to study for a degree and work full-time, while receiving a salary and having the cost of their tuition fees paid.
- Partnered with CoreLogic to enhance fraud protection for UK mortgage lenders. Announced a partnership to make the CoreLogic FraudMark scoring software available to UK mortgage providers through Experian’s Hunter II fraud detection system.
- Appointed Craig Boundy as Managing Director Experian UK and Ireland. Craig will joined Experian from Logica plc where he was the company’s UK CEO. As Managing Director, Craig will be responsible for further growing Experian’s UK and Ireland business across its Credit Services, Decision Analytics, Marketing Services and Interactive business lines.
- Acquired 192business, a leading provider of online identity verification services.
- Released Experian Business Check an online commercial credit checking service designed specifically for UK small and medium sized firms to help them make better business decisions.
- Announced the UK availability of PowerCurve, the new decision management software portfolio, which helps organisations manage and grow their portfolios by improving the way they use information to make customer decisions.
- Launched Values, Money and Me, a ground-breaking new teaching resource to help primary school children get financially savvy.
- Experian entered a conditional agreement to acquire a further interest in Serasa S.A. taking the total holding up to 99.6%.
- Launched BusinessIQ, a powerful new online customer and supplier risk management system.
- Experian were voted as one of Britain's most admired companies, featuring in the top 10% of the league table for the second year running.
On this business day in 2013...
- More than 30,000 credit reports will be produced
- More than 22,000 mainframe batch jobs will run
- 90 million online transactions will process
- 1,500 client media items will be handled
- 250,000 users will be connected to our services
- 200 change requests will be successfully implemented
- 2,200 Automated tape requests will be serviced
...to help our customers make better decisions.