So we’ve put together 5 ways to get away from the cold and wet of a British winter without having to over-splash the cash.
- Book at the right time – Online ‘screenscrapers’ can instantly hunt down and compare the cheapest flights, while popular review sites have dozens of useful customer reviews to help you compare hotels and resorts. With package holidays it can pay to book late (as long as you’re flexible), as unsold seats and rooms have to get sold one way or another – and by then it can be a real buyer’s market.
- Credit-savvy – While many credit and debit cards charge up to 3 per cent per transaction if you use them abroad, there are specialist credit cards available that don’t charge for overseas cash withdrawals or have no foreign exchange fee. If you do get one of those cards though, make sure you pay the bill off in full when the bill arrives if you can. It’s also advisable to let your lender know you are going abroad, so as to prime them in case it raises suspicion when they see you making large purchases in duty free!
- Spreading the cost – To help budget, sometimes it’s an idea to pay it off at your own speed. Credit cards with 0% or low rates on purchases can help spread the cost of major purchases. These are interest-free cards that, as long as you make the minimum monthly payment and keep to the other Ts and Cs, allow you to spend on the card for a specified period without having to pay interest on the balance for as long as the promotional rate. The Experian Credit Score shows you how lenders may view you (based on your Experian Credit Report), and can be a useful thing to know when you are thinking of applying for credit. To get your Experian Credit Score FREE forever, sign up to CreditMatcher, a free independent service that helps you compare credit deals you’re more likely to get, based on your credit information. We are a credit broker not a lender, working with selected lenders.†
- Mobile sense – To avoid come home to an inflated mobile phone bill, you could turn off both mobile data and data roaming, but keep the wi-fi on. That way you can still use phone apps if you need to make a call, using free wi-fi hotspots – most hotels will have one.
- Simple steps to save – Whether you’re heading for the sun or the slopes, don’t forget some simple ways to cut potential costs. Waiting until you get to the airport to make essential purchases makes you a captive customer – you’ve literally got nowhere else to go, so you’re likely to pay a premium for exchange rate and small items. So get your pounds to euro, pounds to dollar sorted out in advance, get your sun cream & toothpaste from pound shops, and book your airport parking as soon as you know your flight times – and you might save a packet.
†Experian acts as a credit broker and not a lender in the provision of its credit cards and personal, car finance and guarantor loans matching services, meaning it will show you products offered by lenders and other brokers.
Experian acts independently and although CreditMatcher shows products for a range of lenders and other brokers it does not cover the whole of the market, meaning other products may be available to you. CreditMatcher services are provided free however we will receive commission payments from lenders or brokers we introduce you to.
CreditMatcher is provided by Experian Ltd (Registered number 653331). Experian Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (firm reference number 009743). Experian Ltd is registered in England and Wales with registered office at The Sir John Peace Building, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG80 1ZZ.
Copyright © 2016, Experian Ltd. All rights reserved.