Home Move Index - predicting customers likely to move home
In the utilities sector alone, we estimate that around £1.5 billion of debt is created as a result of people moving home and trying to avoid paying their final bills – around £400m of which is written-off.
This is compounded by missed opportunities to retain valuable customers during the home move journey.
Utilities and other home services providers (e.g. satellite/cable TV, phone, broadband, mortgages etc) need a way to predict – as early as possible – when a customer is likely to move home in order to prevent problems like these.
With 80% of debt and 50% of all fraud being associated with the home move process, this is a significant issue for home services providers.
Experian’s new Home Move Index (HMI) helps you understand which customers are showing behaviour patterns that indicate a strong likelihood to move home, before the ‘for sale/rent’ sign goes up. This enables you to be much more agile and proactive in the way that you manage these accounts and prevent problems further down the line.
Our HMI can identify and prioritise manageable customer segments with a propensity to move home higher than 70%. In the most transient segment of private renters, this propensity is 81%.
- Correct billing
- Legislation and regulation
- Debt and fraud risk
- Customer satisfaction
- Vulnerable customers
- Customer retention
The principle of our HMI is simple. We will review all or a selection of your customer base and tell you which customers are most likely to move in the next 6 months. Once you have this information, you can take appropriate action to:
- Raise the collections priority
- Collect extra data to ensure you can still contact them when they move
- Retain the customer
- Provide a home move service
A proactive approach to the home move process will achieve:
- Improved business profitability through Lower levels of debt, write-off and costly management intervention (e.g. collections). Higher retention rates – especially of better customers
- Improved client satisfaction scores
- We monitor your customers’ behaviour using data from Land Registry, Credit Account Previous Searches (CAPS), internet service data and geo-demographic data, complemented by Credit Account Information Sharing (CAIS) data for scheme members.
- We then score your customers on their propensity to move home in the next 6 months – delivering to you either an index or a list of the highest propensity customers, based on your preferences.
- You can then proactively manage your customers more appropriately to tackle the home move challenge head on.
Let’s talk about how we can help you deliver the full benefits of predicting when your customers are exhibiting behaviour associated with moving home. Please contact your Experian account manager or consultant.
Our expertise, insight, software and analysis helps utility clients to increase efficiency, manage risk more effectively, provide better customer service and improve business profitability.
We can provide data and insight to equip you with a better understanding of your customers likely intentions which gives you time and opportunity to better manage the financial risk they could create for your business.