Need to ask a question?
Our story is one of ground-breaking innovation. Bringing together our core capabilities; information, expertise and partnership, we have come a long way since 1980.
- Experian trace its origins to CCN, an information services business established by our former parent company, GUS
- CCN is the first to develop market and credit scoring in the UK.
- Launched CAIS, a system allowing consumer lending organisations to share credit account information on individuals and became the UK’s leading credit bureau.
- Produced the first automated application processing system, Autoscore, now known as CEMS.
- Delphi, a bureau based scorecard is launched in the UK. In the same year, Car Data Check, our vehicle provenance database, and Detect our fraud detection product came to the market place.
- CCN changed its name globally to Experian and became a leading global provider of information and decision analytics.
- Experian Truvue, a customer data integration solution, was launched globally.
- Entered the B2B list market with the launch of the National Business Database.
- CreditExpert, the first online credit reporting service, is launched to consumers in the UK.
- Acquired the direct marketing arm of Yell Data to become the leading force in business-to-business marketing in the UK.
- GUS acquired the outstanding stake in Scorex, a global decision analytics company.
- Acquired CheetahMail, an e-mail marketing and customer intelligence solution and QAS, a leading supplier of address management software in the UK.
- Acquired Footfall, a leading provider of information and services related to numbers of people visiting retailers, shopping centres and transport locations.
- Experian is the only UK Company to win the Business of the Year award twice – in 2003 and 2005.
- Acquired ClarityBlue to complement the database management skills in our Marketing Solutions business.
- Acquired Experian BackgroundChecking.com, specialists in conducting identity checks on job applicants and Experian Payments, a market-leading provider of bank account validation and payment processing software.
- Experian received four Business in the Community Big Ticks, in recognition of our long-term commitment to improving educational opportunities for people in Nottingham.
- Our fraud business was presented with the Queens Award for Enterprise, the most prestigious accolade for business performance in the UK.
- On the 11 October 2006, Experian became an independent company, listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Acquired Hitwise, an Internet market intelligence company. N4 Solutions, a provider of specialist software for the mortgage and financial planning sectors, pH Group, a leading business to business analytics company and Tallyman, the market-leading solution for revenue management and collection.
- Introduced Risk Triggers, a daily alert service which flags at-risk customers to lenders so that they can act quickly to prevent loss before they are exposed to it.
- Developed TrendView, a new segmentation tool that helps businesses to identify new value opportunities with existing customers by monitoring and evaluating their behaviour.
- Launched Lowermybills.co.uk to help UK consumers reduce their monthly recurring expenses online.
- Acquired Experian Payments (originally Eiger), to provide strategic payment software services.
- Introduced Ledger 360, an innovative new software system designed to help businesses to improve cash flow and profitability.
- Entered into partnership with the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) to bring car status checks to the market for the time, with SIMI History Check.
- Uploaded 2008 Electoral Register in record time and ahead of the competition.
- Launched Strategy Tree Optimisation, to help business make smarter and more informed decisions.
- Announced enhanced data sharing initiatives, to enable lenders to closely monitor consumers' use of credit and store cards for signs of over-indebtedness, by teaming up with APACS and credit card providers.
- Launched a comprehensive suite of collections and recoveries capabilities, to drive organisations' financial performance.
- Became the first Credit Reference Agency to achieve the CIFAS (the UK's Fraud Prevention Service) 'superior' rating for the fifth year in a row.
- Introduced Universal ID Check, a multi-national identity authentication system to boost the fight against fraud.
- Launched Autocheck Timeline, a unique new feature as part of our vehicle provenance service to help dealers meet the increasing information demands of their customers.
- On an average day, we process two million credit reference enquiries and we help our clients to make more than 20 billion decisions every year.
- Experian scooped a raft of awards and won the top accolade at the industry leading 2009 Data Strategy Awards, for the best use of data in all categories.
- Introduced enhanced collections and recoveries management software with the latest version of Tallyman, the collections process management software which forms a core part of Experian’s strategic Debt Collection and Recovery Suite.
- Launched Automated Vehicle Mileage Check the first compliance service of its kind for the UK’s automotive market.
- Experian’s market leading consumer classification - Mosaic UK - was comprehensively rebuilt and updated to reflect important demographic and social changes in British society since 2003.
- Introduced B2B Prospector a new online tool that allows businesses to quickly and simply find targeted new business leads for direct marketing campaigns.
- Won two highly coveted Business in the Community Big Tick' awards for its flagship community partnerships in Nottinghamshire.
- Launched Risk Audit Plus, the new web-based risk management service, to arm businesses with even more powerful credit risk insight.
On this business day in 2010...
- More than 30,000 credit reports will be produced
- More than 22,000 mainframe batch jobs will run
- 90 million online transactions will process
- 1,500 client media items will be handled
- 250,000 users will be connected to our services
- 200 change requests will be successfully implemented
- 2,200 Automated tape requests will be serviced
...to help our customers make better decisions.