Rental Exchange - What is happening?
Whether you are a social housing tenant, or renting privately, we believe that you should get credit for paying your rent on time. The Rental Exchange is a way to enhance your credit report without needing to take on new credit agreements.
This can happen in one of two ways:
- If you are a social housing tenant, your landlord can provide your rental payment record to Experian on a regular basis.
- Alternatively, should you rent privately, you can share your rent payment history with Experian by joining Credit Ladder, the tenants’ rent management company working with Experian.
Whichever way you choose, you will then be recognised for paying your rent on time, in the same way homeowners are recognised for paying their mortgage each month.
How will I benefit?
Sharing your rental payment history will help create an online proof of identity, proving you are who you say you are and that you live where you say you live. Proving this makes you a more reliable potential customer to companies.
More information on your credit file means it may be easier for you to:
- Open a new bank account
- Get a new credit card
- Have a loan application approved
- Shop online
- Arrange a better utilities tariff, or qualify to pay for gas/electricity via a non-prepay tariff
- Receive better mobile phone rates
- Apply for a mortgage
Watch our short video to see how The Rental Exchange can benefit tenants:
What will I have to do?
There are two ways to share your data and benefit from sharing rental payment history.
- If you are a social housing tenant, your landlord can provide your rental payment record to Experian on a regular basis. Please ask your Landlord for more details on how to register.
- If you currently rent privately, you can sign up to Credit Ladder by clicking here. Credit Ladder (the tenants rent management company) are a rent collection agency, who will channel your rent payments to your landlord (same day) and share this payment history with Experian, more information is available on the CreditLadder website.