- Last Modified: 13/09/16
- Version: 2.0
- Who are we?
- What is our commitment to you?
- What types of information do we collect about you and how do we use or share this information?
- Do we share information with third parties?
- Ad Targeting Policy
- Marketing Options
- How do we protect your information?
- Data Transfers
- Your rights to access your personal information
“Services” means the Experian CreditMatcher Service which includes:
- a service provided by Experian which provides the ability to compare information about third party products and/or services, based on your Experian Credit Report and information held by other Credit Reference Agencies (CreditMatcher Services) as further described in the Terms and Conditions; and
- the supply of an Experian Credit Score which is an indication of how we think lenders may view you, based solely on the credit information contained in your Experian Credit Report.
“Website” means a website operated by us through which we provide the Services at www.experian.co.uk/creditmatcher/home and any replacement website used from time to time from which we allow you to access the Services.
"Your Information" means information and data you have provided to us in connection with the Services which may from time to time include Personal Data as defined by the Data Protection Act 1998 (as amended).Back to the top
Who are we?
Experian Limited is part of a group of companies, whose parent company is Experian plc which is listed on the London Stock Exchange (EXPN). For more information, visit the Experian group’s website on www.experianplc.com.
The word "EXPERIAN", and the square and dots graphical device in respect of Experian are trademarks of Experian Limited and/or its associated companies and may be registered in the EU, USA and other countries. The square and dots graphical device is a registered Community design in the EU. All rights reserved.
We are responsible for the processing of any Personal Data you provide to the Website or to us during our provision of the Services to you.
Experian is registered in the United Kingdom under the Data Protection Act 1998.Back to the top
What is our commitment to you?
Protecting the privacy of Your Information is of highest importance to us. We believe that responsible stewardship of the personal information entrusted to us is crucial in developing and maintaining the public trust essential for our continued success. We are sensitive to your privacy concerns, and are committed to letting you know what information is being collected on the Website, how that information is being used and what choices you have regarding the collection and use of the information.
What types of information do we collect about you and how do we use or share this information?
The primary reason we collect Your Information is to provide you with the Services. The type of information we collect, and the purposes for which it is collected is set out below.
- When you register for the Services, your registration information, which includes without limitation, your title, full name, residential address, previous residential addresses, date of birth, email address, telephone number and employment details, is used to provide you with the Services, to check your eligibility for third party products and services as part of our CreditMatcher Service, to enable you to reactivate the Service if you choose to return to us and/or to enable you to register for any other Experian Services should you choose to do so;
- When you register for the Services, your billing information, which includes your credit card or other payment card number, is required to help us verify your identity and process a payment (where applicable) for the Services you request from us;
- When you register for the Services, other information we may collect, such as place of birth and mother's maiden name, is used to verify your identity in the event you forget your login details or security information required to access the Services.
- When you register for and/or log into the Services, we may collect information about your device as part of our on-going fraud prevention and detection. This information may include without limitation, how your device is connected to the internet, such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address being used, device specific information such as the screen resolution, browser data stored in your machine such as a cookie or information about the software being used, your internet browser and other similar data;
- When we provide the Services to you, we may check and share Your Information against information held about you on other third party databases to which we have access for these purposes. Further information is set out below at “Do we share information with third parties?”. We may also refer to publicly available information including social media to verify your identity;
- When we provide the Services to you, we will use information we hold in the bureau, including your Experian Credit Report and other information we hold about you in our databases in order to provide the Services to you;
- When you use the CreditMatcher Services, we will request on your behalf your credit information from credit reporting agencies and we will use this information for the purposes of providing you with the CreditMatcher Services;
- When you use the CreditMatcher Services, we will keep details of the searches you carry out, the results of the search and the products selected, to verify commission levels, for audit purposes and dealing with enquiries;
- In providing the Services to you, we will use your information to deal with your requests, enquiries and to provide you with customer support.
- In addition to providing you with the Services, we may also use Your Information:
- to help us to improve the Services;
- to undertake customer and market/marketing research;
- to create a profile about you so that we can better inform you and others about particular goods, services or events that may be of interest to you/them and to display that information according to your/their preferences
- for our internal business purposes including without limitation to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- to monitor activity on the Website, to monitor use of the Services and in such a way to protect the Website and systems from unauthorized access.
- Any additional credit information you provide to us including (but not limited to) aliases, previous names and addresses and financial relationships with third parties will be added and recorded on your credit report and may be used by us to provide credit reports about you to authorised third parties.
Do we share information with third parties?
We may disclose any of the information that we collect to our group companies, and to third parties that perform services on our behalf so that we can provide you with the Services. These may include market research companies, data management companies and call centre providers.
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements about our products and services on our behalf.
We will check your details with the records we hold and share with fraud prevention agencies. If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, we will record this and details will be passed to the other fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example, when:
- Checking details on applications for credit and credit related or other facilities.
- Managing credit and credit related accounts or facilities.
- Recovering debt.
- Checking details on proposals and claims for all types of insurance
- Checking details of job applicants and employees
Please contact us at Experian Ltd, PO Box 8000, Nottingham, NG80 7WF if you want to receive details of the fraud prevention agencies.
We and other organisations may access and use from other countries the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies.
When you use the CreditMatcher Services, we may share your information with brokers, lenders and providers of credit and financial products for purposes that may include:
- verifying your eligibility for the products;
- verifying suitability of products;
- contacting you regarding credit and financial products; and
- complying with any contractual, legal and/or regulatory obligations.
We may share your information with other Credit Reference Agencies and fraud prevention agencies, including Cifas. The information we provide to other Credit Reference Agencies may be shared by them with other organisations, including fraud prevention agencies and used by those organisations for the purpose of checking identity, preventing fraud, tracing and collection of debt. The Credit Reference Agencies may use this information for statistical analysis.Back to the top
Ad Targeting Policy
We may use your data to help online advertisers to display advertisements that are more relevant to you when you visit this and/or other unrelated websites. We will identify one or more advertising categories or segments into which you fall. These segments, which are represented by codes, will be passed to advertising networks that in turn will use these codes to display relevant advertising when you visit Web sites that us those networks.
In order to do this, we will use your name and address, along with demographic and other data it already holds from other sources. No information contained on your Credit Report will be used. Your data will only be shared with a third party where they are providing services on behalf of Experian. Your data will not be shared by us with any other third party, including these advertising networks and the Websites that display their own or other third party advertisements.
To opt out of your data being used for this purpose, please click here:
http://das.uk.experian.com/experianoptout/ This will direct you to our opt-out centre. Opting out will not prevent online advertising being displayed to you; it will only prevent the use of your data in making these advertisements more relevant to you.
A cookie will be placed on your computer by us in order to identify Website visitors that have agreed to the use of their data for targeted online advertising. This cookie is encrypted and only contains a code that identifies you to us. It is not used to track your online activity. If you opt out of allowing the use of your data for targeted online advertising we will add an opt-out flag to this cookie which will then be used to prevent your data being used. Alternatively you may wish to change your browser settings to prevent our cookies from being placed onto your computer.
To understand more about cookie based advertising, please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk.Back to the top
If when registering, you have opted in to receiving e-mail communications from Experian about relevant news and offers, all of our communications will give you the opportunity to unsubscribe.
YOU WILL ONLY RECEIVE COMMUNICATIONS FROM EXPERIAN.
When identifying methods of improving our products and services or if we think a product, service or offer may be of interest to you, with your consent we may arrange to extend offers of such goods or services to you by e-mail.
If your membership of your Service has ended we may contact you to invite you to re-register for the same or a different Experian Service or to use certain free features on the Website. Any invitation we send to you as a lapsed member will give you the opportunity to unsubscribe from being contacted again.Back to the top
How do we protect your information?
We restrict access to your personal data to those employees, and third parties, who need to know that information to provide the Service to you. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal data.
Experian protects your information over the Internet by using secure web server technologies, which allows web browser programs to interact with Experian's web server via an encrypted session. Experian employs a Transport Layer Security (TLS) connection that provides an encrypted connection between your computer and Experian. The 256 bit encrypted connection scrambles ordinary text or data into cyphertext to safeguard sensitive information during its journey across the Internet. The information is decrypted, or put back into a readable format, when it reaches its intended destination. When you visit the Website you may move in and out of secured areas. Any time that you are on a registration page or viewing your credit report, you will be in a secured area.Back to the top
We operate throughout the world in providing our goods and services which means we may transfer your personal information to countries whose data protection laws do not provide the same level of protection as those in the UK. If we do so, we will ensure that an agreement is in place in which anyone to whom we pass the information agrees to treat it with the same level of protection as if we were dealing with it. Back to the top
Your rights to access your personal information
You have the right to receive information about the personal data we hold about you (for which we may charge a small fee). The statutory fee is £10.00, except in the case of obtaining a copy of your credit report, for which the statutory fee is £2.00Back to the top