‘Cyber Monday’ biggest shopping day ever seen in UK
UK consumers make 115 million visits to online retail sites in one single day
UK spent 15.3 million hours shopping online on Cyber Monday
Searches for “Black Friday” up 355 per cent this year £10.5 billion could be spent on online retail transactions in December alone
Experian reveals the scale of online retail shopping this Cyber Monday (2 December 2013). Insight from Experian Hitwise, the online competitive intelligence tool, shows that Cyber Monday 2013 was the biggest and busiest day ever for online retailers in the UK.
British Internet users made an astonishing 115 million visits to retail websites on Monday 2 December, representing a 2.5 per cent increase compared to Boxing Day 2012, the previous record holder for biggest ever shopping day. Compared to last year’s Cyber Monday, visits were up by 3.3 million representing a 3 per cent growth year-on-year.
Additional data points include:
- UK consumers set new records for the amount of time spent shopping online in a single day, spending 15.3 hours on retail sites.
- On average consumers spent eight minutes per site visit on Monday.
- The big winners for retail visits on Cyber Monday compared to the preceding Monday (25th November) were department stores (up 4 per cent), apparel (up 5 per cent) and video games (up 17 per cent).
For the first time in the UK Black Friday (29th November 2013) also showed extensive growth:
- Consumers made 113 million visits to retail websites on Black Friday, up by 19 per cent compared to last year - eclipsing any single shopping day of 2012.
- One in every 550 searches made in the UK last week (week ending 30 November 2013) included the words “Black Friday”, up 355 per cent year-on-year.
Further peaks are expected around 9th December and Christmas Eve as retailers ramp up their marketing efforts and there is a rise in last-minute buying online with consumers taking advantage of click-and-collect services and shorter delivery times. Boxing Day is still on course to break records as the biggest retail day ever.
James Murray, Digital Insight Manager for Experian Marketing Services commented:
“As expected Cyber Monday smashed previous online shopping records, making the 2nd December 2013 the biggest single day of online shopping we’ve ever witnessed. Black Friday has also become an event in the UK calendar and this could have had a spillover effect on Cyber Monday shopping in the UK.
“This certainly isn’t the end of the festive period’s shopping rush however, and we expect to see sustained online figures throughout December. Consumers have never been savvier and with more ways to shop than ever before, engaging with customers at the right time and across every channel is essential to maximise sales in what is shaping up to be another record breaking Christmas period for online retail.”