Experian’s Mosaic Origins can be used to profile areas and communities by name origin, ethnicity and language. It classifies an individual’s first and last names according to the part of the world from which their forebears are most likely to have originated, and each name is placed into one of 200 Origins types.
What can it do for me?
Given the diverse social structure of the UK, an understanding of the cultural, ethnic and linguistic make-up of your customers is a key factor in identifying the best way to communicate with different groups, along with the products and services they need.
Mosaic Origins helps you to understand customer behaviour, quantify the size and potential of local markets and make sure that your communications are targeted effectively.
In the public sector, it can be used to:
- Optimise resource allocation
- Find and communicate with ‘difficult to reach’ groups
- Identify and address diverse needs within an area
- Audit the take-up of services
- Understand how ethnic groups are distributed within a specific area
- Work with adjoining authorities on cross-border issues.
A few key facts
- The classification uses over 400,000 personal names and over 1 million family names to identify the most appropriate Mosaic Origins code for an individual
- All UK individuals are coded with one of 200 Origins types based on an analysis of their name, religion, language and country of origin.
Download the Mosaic Origins factsheet